We provide help and assistance for the “Sightseeing in and around Guwahati” package tours. Please contact using the mobile numbers and email ID given bellow for more information
Mobile: +91 93655 16724 and +91 69004 38920
Email: info [at] kamakhya [dot] org
The following sites can be covered during the “Sightseeing in the Outskirts of Guwahati” package tours:
Dol Gobinda Temple
Doul Govinda Temple is one of the important temples of Kamrupa. It is situated on the northern banks of river Brahmaputra, at Rajaduar, North Guwahati. The temple is mainly devoted to Lord Krishna. Besides, there is a Namghar along with the temple within the same premises. The temple is open and accessible all the year round, but one can enjoy the thrill of a river cruise as well as walking on white sands of the beaches of Brahmaputra, from the month of November to April.
Dirgheswari Temple is situated in the northern banks of the river Brahmaputra in North Guwahati. Built by Ahom king Siva Singha, Dirgheswari temple is considered as a Shakti Peethas for Shakta Worship. Many ancient images made on rocks exist in and around the premises of the temple. The main attraction of Dirgheswari temple is the annual Durga Puja celebrations, in which devotees from far of places to attend.
There is ample literary and epigraphic testimony to the antiquity of the temple of Lord Pandunath. All the great dynasties of rulers of the Kamrup have paid homage to Lord Pandunath in this ancient shrine. The history of Pandunath Devalaya has been narrated in a number of epics and Puranas beginning from the Mahabharata. It is believed that from the beginning of the creation Lord Vishnu was always living in the Nilachal Hills that is the reason that Pandu became a sacred place in many Vedas and Puranas.
The 10th Century AD religious scriptures states about the religious significance of The Pandunath Devalaya. The Devalaya is situated on Varah Hill, West of Nilachal Hills the abode of Maa Kamakhya.
Aswalkanta temple situated on the northern bank of the mighty River Brahmaputra. In 1720 AD, Ahom King Shiva Singha had built this temple. According to Hindu mythology, when Lord Krishna was searching for Narakasur, his horses became tired and he stopped in this spot to give them rest. This is why the temple is called Aswaklanta as it means tired horses. Another story says, Arjuna, the third of the Pandavas was persuaded to stay here, so that his son Abhimanyu could be killed in the war. This was a conspiracy, and thus this place got the name of Abhi-kranta in Assamese, which later became Aswaklanta. In the year 1897, due to a massive earthquake, the major portion of this temple was demolished, but under Lord Curzon’s initiative, who was the Viceroy of India, the temple was renovated.
Gopeswar is also locally known as Gupteswar or Hidden God. As per a legend, there was a meeting of Gods regarding the affairs related to Kamdev and Rati and Lord Shiva was invited to head the meeting but he was not interested. He disappeared with Devi Parvati in this location and hence the place is known as Gupteswar or Gopeswar. This sacred site is also known as Devadwar because all Gods came through Gopeswar for the meeting. Though the temple is dedicated to Lord Shiba, there is no Lingam; instead, a symbolic metal plate is being worshiped. There is a pond and a Devi temple in the vicinity.
Gopeswar Devalaya is located on the way to Baihata Charali on the north bank of Brahmputra in the Kamrup district. It is one of the registered sites of Archiological heritage of India.
Hayagriva Madhava Temple is situated on the Monikut hill in the Hajo area of Kamrup district and is around 40 km to west of Guwahati. The present temple structure was constructed by the King Raghudeva Narayan of the Koch dynasty in 1583 AD. According to some historians the King of Pala dynasty of Kamarupa constructed the temple in 10th century AD. It is a stone temple and enshrines an image of Hayagriva-Madhava. In this temple, the presiding deity is worshipped as the Narasimha the incarnation of Lord Vishnu. In the body of the temple nicely carved rows of elephants are seen. There is a big pond known as Madhab Pukhuri near the temple. The Buddhists of Bhutan, Nepal and Tibet believe that the Hayagriva-Madhava temple is Mahamuni temple where Lord Buddha attained Nirvana and follower of Buddhism from these areas still visit this temple. Moreover, this temple preaches both Hinduism and Buddhism, which attract large numbers of Buddhist Monks.
Madan Kamdev Temple and Archaeological Site
Madan Kamdev is around 40 km away from Guwahati. The exquisite rock-cut sculptures and designs of Madan Kamdev is an enigma which vibrantly speaks about the rich religio-social and cultural heritage of ancient Kamrupa. Now in ruins, scattered all around the Dewangiri hillock covered with lush green forest, are griffins, nymphs, dancing fairies, gods and goddesses in cosmic evaluations, walls, pillars, lintels and door frames decorated with flowers, animals, Kalpa-vriksha (the tree of fulfilment), six sided Bhairava, four headed Shiva, Demons, Serpents and men, women and animals in every conceivable erotic postures,
As per mythology, Kama or Madan (God of Love) was reborn at this site after being turned into ashes by angry Lord Shiva and got united to his wife Rati.
The construction of Madan Kamdev dates back to between 10th to 12th century A.D. when the Pala Dynasty ruled Kamrupa. It has been assessed that, there were more than 20 temples dedicated to Lord Shiva on the site of Madan Kamdev.